On My Desk: A Pinch of Overwhelmed


This morning when I took this photo of what is on my desk, it brought to mind one of many questions I have been asked.  Do you ever get scared to try something new? 

Scared? No. Overwhelmed? Yes.


On my desk sits a brand new type of surface on which I've never painted and honestly, it has me a bit overwhelmed.  Seriously?  Yes, seriously.

It is a bit humorous a new painting surface can cause such a reaction, but ones reaction is not always logical.  Sometimes the smaller experiences cause more response than experiences of more complexity. I believe there are two reasons for this current reaction.

First, this is a high profile painting and as you already know, I OCD when it comes to the quality of my work.  High Profile + Quality of Work = Magnified OCD.  The making for a little pinch of overwhelmed.

Second, this surface reacts in a completely different manor to how I paint than the surface I commonly use.  I have to teach myself to paint in a new way to create the look achieved in prior paintings.  That’s a great challenge.  I use the word challenge not in the negative, but the positive, as in growing, learning, and tying something new.

As an artist, I find experimenting, trying new mediums, overwhelming myself, pushes me to grow.  Does this mean there’s a risk this painting may fail?  Yes, and it wouldn't be the first time.  I've learned many lessons from such failed attempts.  If this paintings execution is successful, I will have learned a completely new way to create a painting and expanded my creative knowledge.

Even with a pinch of overwhelmed, an opportunity to learn regardless of the outcome is a risk I'm more than willing to take. 

When you try new things do you find yourself overwhelmed?  What do you do when this happens?

Please take a moment and share you comments, become a follower of this blog, and like us on facebook.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...